A {Boy} and A Girl

I kinda really like this boy. His name is Brent. We entered the wonderful, crazy, and sacred bond of marriage on July 2, 2011. He's pretty much amazing. We like to cook, do anything outdoors, sing, and dance the night away. Oh, and guess what?! WE'RE HAVING A BABY THIS YEAR!! Welcome to our lives...or at least some of it!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The reason behind it all

I got to hold him again!



Our first hug in nearly 3 months



Our first Christmas together :]






I love this pic of him. It was the night we got engaged and
he looks so incredibly happy! This was a definate favorite
moment.








The night I knew he was going to ask me to marry him...
and that I would say yes.








♥ my soldier!





When Brent and I first started dating, I told him that one of my favorite songs was "Then" by Brad Paisley. Basically, it talks about how during every big moment in a lasting relationship (ie: first kiss, first "I love you," proposal, wedding day, and first child) you thought you had loved this person, but your love for them just grows and grows more each day and with each moment, whether big or small. Thus the saying, "and I thought I loved you then." That is now mine and Brent's song (I know, right? ha ha!) And to tell you the truth, it couldn't fit more perfectly with everything that we've been through these last 4 months.
I had known from the very first day that I met Brent that I REALLY liked him. Just four months later when we officially went on our first date, I can honestly say by the end of the night, I knew I could love him forever. With each passing date, phone call, and smile, my love for him grew.
He had told me before we even started dating that he wanted to join the National Guard. I hadn't thought much about it, even after I'd watched him sign the paper and swear the oath. We kept dating and then found out he would be leaving for Basic Training in January. It seemed forever away and I was too high up in the clouds to stress over the upcoming good-bye.
On December 12, 2010, Brent asked me to be his wife! :D I said yes (well, actually, I was crying so hard that I couldn't speak, so I just kinda nodded with a huge dorky grin on my face.) The rest of December flew by and it started to hit me that Brent was leaving soon. But I kept a smile on my face and just kept enjoying every minute with him, thinking that by this time, I knew what love was.
The dreaded day finally came on January 10, 2011. I spent the entire day with Brent saying good-bye to family and friends. We went to the hotel and I honestly kept pushing the fact that it was here and now to the back of my mind. When they finally told the families to leave, I hugged Brent as hard and as long as I could. After a tearful good-bye, I drove back to my apt.
During Basic, Brent only called maybe 3-4 times and letters were few and far-between. Luckily, at AIT, I can drive down and visit him on weekends and he gets a few 4-day weekends to come home and we can talk on the phone or skype every night. But it still sucks with him being away. It really drives me crazy when I'm having a really bad day and missing him like crazy and someone says, "Well you chose this." Well no duh! I'd do it all over again too, but the fact that we chose this when we did does not make the fact that we're not together any easier! I keep telling myself to be strong, but that it's okay to be mad, sad, lonely, and depressed once in awhile.
But to sum all of my rambling up, the military has been one of the best things for Brent and I because it has shown us how much we truly do love each other and how important we are in each others' lives. I've been told many times, "Distance makes the heart grow stronger." I couldn't agree more. I thought I knew what love was when Brent left on January 10. Today, on May 18, with just a few short weeks until I become his bride, I can't imagine loving anyone more. But if the song holds true, like it has been, I'll keep loving Brent more and more as the years go by. I can't wait!!!!

2 comments:

Layna Torg said...

Shaylee! I love your blog! you two are such a great couple!

-Alayna Torgerson :]

Shaylee Gale said...

Thanks Layna :) I never write ha ha but thanks!