A {Boy} and A Girl

I kinda really like this boy. His name is Brent. We entered the wonderful, crazy, and sacred bond of marriage on July 2, 2011. He's pretty much amazing. We like to cook, do anything outdoors, sing, and dance the night away. Oh, and guess what?! WE'RE HAVING A BABY THIS YEAR!! Welcome to our lives...or at least some of it!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Long-Awaited, Stress-Induced, BEST WEEKEND OF MY LIFE.

Wow, it's kinda crazy that I haven't posted anything on my blog in...well...forever!  Sorry, I'm a horrible blogger!  So much has happened since I last blogged in May.  For starters, I'm now married :)  Not just engaged!  So here's a little update.  I'll try to break it up so you're not bombarded with all of the information in one post.  That'd be WAY too overwhelming, even for me!
Let's start with the wedding, shall we?



Leading up to the Big Day, I was very anxious.  Brent had heard that because of some idiotic people, their First Sergeant was considering taking away their 4-day weekend from them.  Which meant no wedding.  Which meant a lot of wasted money (because we had to pay extra to move dates around when Brent found out that our date in September wouldn't have worked).  Which meant one VERY sad and miserable me.  No bueno. 


Then, he found out that he could indeed come home, but they weren't letting them off post until 7 AM on the 1st of July.  I was pretty much hysterical by now.  I had made arrangements with the temple to go through to receive my endowments at this time and even though I had planned for the LATEST session, if Brent couldn't leave Sierra Vista until 7AM that morning, he wouldn't even get to Utah until about 8 PM that night, which would not have worked.  Chris Herrera, and his wife, Kimberly, had offered to drive Brent home, since they were also coming to Utah, but I just had an uneasy feeling.  I can't begin to tell you how hard I prayed that Brent would get there on time to go through the temple with me.  Because let's be honest, it was VERY important to me that he be there. 
So after a few tearful conversations with Brent, and hundreds more with my parents (I tried not to cry a lot when I talked to Brent because I knew how stressed out he already was...the military does that to ya...), my dad made a few calls and found a local pilot who would fly from Richfield to Tuscon and back.  My parents didn't have to do this, because it was very expensive and they'd already forked out a butt-load, but they did it anyway, which I will forever be grateful for.  When I asked them why they were doing it my dad's response was, "Shaylee, you're our baby.  We will always do whatever it takes for our kids.  We've seen how much pain and agony you've gone through waiting for Brent to return home.  We want you to be happy, and we'll do whatever we can to make this wedding possible."  Yep.  I bawled.
So, on the morning of the 1st, I anxiously awaited Brent's plane flying into Richfield.  Finally, I got a text from him that they were about 20 minutes from landing.  To say I was thrilled was an understatement. 
The plane FINALLY landed and there he was!  Wearing his civies and all!  (Civilian clothes, aka:  not his camo).  We just sat there and hugged and laughed and cried (ok...just me). 
Me, Brent, and his pilots who flew him home!


So then, it was onto business.  Brent and I had a few stops to make before we headed to the temple that night.  First stop: the Sevier County Clerk's Office to sign our marriage license (another crucial reason that he needed to be home earlier), then the bank to put me on his account, and multiple other stops.  We had lunch with my parents and then ran to his parents house to make sure we had everything there and visit with his family.  Then, we finally headed to the temple.
I had so much support that night, both from my family and Brent's.  To say it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had the privilege of undergoing is way too much of an understatement.  I've looked forward to being an endowed member my entire life and now I was.  A major goal of mine was definitely checked off.
After that, Brent and I went to a diner while our families drove home to rest (Brent and I knew we needed it...but we were still on cloud 9).  We drove home to find the Herrera's at my house (they were staying at my house as a thanks for driving Brent to the airport and would be attending our ceremony the next morning.)  So we talked to them for a little before Brent drove home and everyone else retired to their beds.
THE BIG DAY!!! 
I woke up so at peace and happy!  I just knew that July 2nd, 2011 would be the best day of my life.  And it was.  My mom was up with me, helping with my hair and make-up, and ensuring that all of my clothes for the temple were in order.  Then, she, my dad, and I drove to the temple where Brent was patiently waiting. 
As everyone came in the room for the ceremony, I just remember feeling pure joy.  I was clinging onto Brent, probably bruising his hand, but I didn't care.  My best friend was here beside me, ready and willing to become my eternal companion.  He probably didn't know quite what he was getting himself into, but he hadn't run off yet!  Ha ha!
As the ceremony progressed, I just stared into Brent's eyes, and it was one of those times.  One of those times that I knew he loved me.  You see, I always know that he loves me, he tells me hundreds of times a day.  But there are certain moments that become my new favorite memories.  I can tell just by looking into those amazing blue eyes that he loves me from the bottom of his core.  That he would do anything for and because of me.  I know during these moments that he is truly happy to be mine.  That he loves me with such a pure and enduring love that will last for the eternities to come. 
I on the other hand, probably looked like a sopping, make-up covered, mess.  Yep, you guessed it.  I was crying. Happy tears.   But I was smiling too and trying to pay attention to what was being said, and to soak it up, and listen to the Spirit. 
Best experience ever.
After that, we went outside for pictures, then home to our luncheon, then more pictures, then reception. 
To be honest, I don't remember much about the reception, except that it was exactly how I'd imagined it looking in my head, and that I wished my nieces would've stopped bringing us sweets and brought us REAL food.  We were offered real food by some of the party, but at the time I wasn't hungry.  But I heard the food was amazing!  Too bad we couldn't have had more...
Finally, it was time to cut cake, toss bouquet and garter, and head off to the married life.  We got to our car through a shower of sparklers and after hugging everyone...twice.  We rode off into the night as Mr. and Mrs.
Since Brent was only on a 4-day and had to report back to base on Monday, our honeymoon was very short-lived.  We didn't get an expensive cruise to some tropical wonderland.  But, we did get to stay in Sedona, AZ which is absolutely beautiful.  Brent felt bad about not giving me a "real" honeymoon, but has promised over and over again that he will.  To be honest, I loved it.  Yeah, it was short and we traveled most of the time, but we saw some beautiful country, got stuck in an AZ monsoon (those things are creepy!), and for the first time in 7 months, spent more than 2 hours of our time together alone.  I was now the wife of the most amazing, wonderful, and fantastic man in the world.  I didn't have to travel to the ends of the world to feel so extremely blessed. 

No comments: