A {Boy} and A Girl

I kinda really like this boy. His name is Brent. We entered the wonderful, crazy, and sacred bond of marriage on July 2, 2011. He's pretty much amazing. We like to cook, do anything outdoors, sing, and dance the night away. Oh, and guess what?! WE'RE HAVING A BABY THIS YEAR!! Welcome to our lives...or at least some of it!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wait, I'm married!?

Sooooo, now that you all know how our crazy wedding weekend went, let's move on to the even crazier first month.  I moved down to AZ for a month to be closer to Brent.  Let's face it, 7 months of being apart was driving us both insane...so to now be married and apart?  Yeah.  Not gonna happen.  Luckily for us, Kimberly Herrera was also living down in AZ while her husband, Chris, who was also Brent's roommate, was at Ft. Huachuca as well. 
So, if you're not getting the "gist" of what I'm trying to say, I was a newly-wed, living in a small studio apartment with another Army wife, sleeping on an air mattress, only getting to see my husband for maybe 3 hours on a good day, and on top of all that...bored out of my mind! 
Since I would only be there for a month, it seemed pointless to even look for a job.  So, I spent my days hoping and praying that Brent's 1st Sergeant wouldn't be a jerk that day and make them have Mandatory Fun Days or stuff like that. 
But then, that wonderful idiot of a man (whose name translates to D-Bag in Spanish) decided to make Brent's company do a little thing called Weapons Immersion.  This wonderful little thing, that is supposed to only happen for 2 weeks at the END of AIT, was now to take up a month.  Basically, what it is, is they have to go everywhere in full "battle rattle" (all their protective gear, which Brent says can weigh up to 60 lbs.) carrying a weapon.  They are not allowed near vehicles, let alone in them.  They are not allowed in buildings.  They are not allowed to have lives. 
And they didn't.  You could have a battle buddy watch your weapon if you truly had to go inside a building, but let's face it.  No one wants to sit outside in an Arizona monsoon holding two weapons for an extended period of time.  So, on those rare occasions that Brent and I got a few hours a day, (also, everywhere we went, Brent had to have a Battle Buddy which was pretty much always Chris, since we were all newly-weds and kinda just left each couple alone as long as they were in sight of each other) we would sit out in a down-pour and eat dinner.  Or, we would sit on the bleachers by the fields and play games or just talk.  Since Brent was ALWAYS in uniform, and there's sergeants EVERYWHERE, physical affection was limited to a quick peck goodnight or a brief hand-holding. 
So, when friends or family would call asking how, "The married life was?"  My honest reply was, "Well...to be honest, I don't feel married.  We don't live together, we can barely even touch each other, and I hardly get to talk to him because he's on Duty most of the day...it still feels like we're dating...but with an extremely strict curfew.  Honest.  When some of my friends would make comments on how it was, "just so great to never have to say goodnight, and you could cuddle up all night...blah, blah, blah" I didn't necessarily get jealous, but I always wondered what it'd be like to fall asleep EVERY night to Brent's face instead of Kimberly's dog, AJ's. 
So, Brent and I had a little different married life at first, but I just realized each moment that we were together how special our time was and how amazing he was.

1 comment:

Hip Heiner Fun said...

Such a touching story. You are amazing and from what I can gather Brent is too. Good Luck. I look forward to keeping up with all the adventures you two will be having together.