A {Boy} and A Girl

I kinda really like this boy. His name is Brent. We entered the wonderful, crazy, and sacred bond of marriage on July 2, 2011. He's pretty much amazing. We like to cook, do anything outdoors, sing, and dance the night away. Oh, and guess what?! WE'RE HAVING A BABY THIS YEAR!! Welcome to our lives...or at least some of it!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Mormon....Outside of Utah.

I've never given much thought to how it'd be to be LDS outside of Utah.  Partly because I never had to live it, and partly because although with many things, I've not been sheltered at all...I'm still sheltered.  I would never judge someone badly because they have a tattoo, drink, or have their own beliefs if I don't know them.  I was taught better.  I know that everyone has their agency.  Do what you must, kinda thing.  I haven't been sheltered in that aspect, but it's a whole new world for me to have neighbors, friends, and complete strangers openly mock me for my beliefs.  In Utah, even though I knew hundreds who weren't LDS and many of whom do not think very highly of the LDS church, they still treat you like a human being.  They accept you for you, as long as you accept them for them.  Don't talk religion much and you get along just fine.  Well, Shaylee, welcome to the real world.

With Mitt Romney running in the Presidential Campaign, Mormons are kind of in the spotlight.  So you can expect a little more...curiosity (for lack of a better term).  But people can be quite rude.  Since I've lived in 2 different states in the last 6 months, both of which have been outside of Utah, I've met many who had never even heard of the Gospel.  In Arizona, it was actually really nice because people wanted to know but if they didn't agree, they just said, "Hey stop talking."  Done.  But in California, I've experienced a completely different angle.

Here are a few experiences:
1.  When I went to change my Social Security Card with my new last name, the lady asked me what my religious affiliation was.  My response, "LDS."  She turns to me and (after previously discussing how Brent was here for the military) she raised her eyebrow and disgustedly said, "I thought Mormons weren't allowed in the military."  I'm not gonna lie, I kinda looked at her like she was stupid...cuz I kinda thought she was (first of all...she was black, so she should know about minorities and all that jazz...).  Then I went on to tell her that we were.  She asked for how long and I replied from about the Civil War Era.  Then she told me something shocking.  Her husband is in the military.  I kinda wanted to punch her at this time. 
2.  We've seen many writings and graffiti against Mormons, been called members of a cult to our faces, and truly been run down in the dirt. 

Now don't get me wrong, our ward out here is amazing!  They're truly so welcoming and warm that we feel part of the family, and many of our "military family" have been true life-savers.  But to all those who are staying true to their values outside of their "box," kudos to you.  It's harder than I ever thought it'd be.

No comments: