A {Boy} and A Girl

I kinda really like this boy. His name is Brent. We entered the wonderful, crazy, and sacred bond of marriage on July 2, 2011. He's pretty much amazing. We like to cook, do anything outdoors, sing, and dance the night away. Oh, and guess what?! WE'RE HAVING A BABY THIS YEAR!! Welcome to our lives...or at least some of it!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

In Her Head Up-Tumbled a Conflict or Two

Oh my, I sure have a lot of things rollin' around in my noggin today.  It's been a crazy year already and it's barely even started!  Brent and I are dealing with new car payments, graduation, a new job for me, moving expenses, future plans, and enjoying our time here while we can.  Man, I'm tired just thinking about it!
This weekend, it was a 4-day weekend for Brent and I.  So, we went and ate some calamari on the beach.  It was splendid.  While we sat there, we watched two chocolate labs play fetch in the surf.  One was much younger and would run out to fetch his ball, see his older companion's ball floating a few feet away, would drop his ball and swim over to it.  It made both Brent and I want a dog. 
We wanted to go kayaking, but it was SO cold (okay, not Utah cold...but cold all-the-same).  So instead we walked around Cannery Row.  We also explored a wax museum.  Not gonna lie...those things creep me out.  We were both tuckered out by the end, so we rented a RedBox and went home to cuddle. 
The next day, we went with some friends to the Oakland Temple.  I don't know what it is about doing a session in the temple, but it plum wears you out!  We'll call it, spiritual exhaustion!  We also went onto the roof of the temple and just looked across the bay.  Can I just mention how BEAUTIFUL it is?  Okay, I will.
We make yummy treats!

And have shooting competitions with Nerf guns

And go to antique stores!
Without going through every single thing we do on a 4-day...here's some pics of our favorite things:










Now, on to other news.  I know I whine about how much California is NOT Utah, but in all reality, I do kinda like it out here.  A few of the things I love are the views.  I was driving to the grocery store yesterday and as I was coming down the hill, I looked out across the bay.  The water was a deep, clear blue.  The kind of blue water you only see in TV commercials about beachy places.  The surf was gently rolling in creating a white froth just on the edges of the sea.  Everything was green around me and many families were out for walks.  It kinda just reminded me how lucky I am to be here.  If it weren't for the military, we wouldn't be able to live a mile from the beach as newly weds.  It just wouldn't happen.  So we're considering ourselves very lucky.
Another thing both Brent and I love is how many things there are to do out here.  Growing up in Sevier county, it seemed like a lot of the time, you had to make your own fun (which is very entertaining) but out here...THERE'S AN ENDLESS SUPPLY!  We have a rock-climbing gym just a mile away from us, the beach is a mile away, mountains just right around the corner, and some of the best tourist places in the world just a hop-skip, and a jump away. 
The people and ward here are so fantabulous!  Both of us have agreed that we've never been in a more welcoming ward.  From the very first day we walked into the building, we've made new friends (and since it's a predominantly military ward with families moving in and out nearly every week...there's always someone new to meet!)  Watching the strength of these saints is amazing.  I love how strong those in the Gospel are out here.  They don't take it for granted like many Utahns do (I admit, I was a part of that).  The majority of our neighbors aren't LDS and we can't find a Deseret Book every 5 miles.  It's been a very humbling and testimony building experience for me.
In fact...there are so many opportunities to share the gospel out here!  We have a handy-man whose name is Jose.  He's got such a strong spirit and testimony.  But he's just missing the last remaining bits of truth.  He and I will swap scriptures (thanks to all my seminary teachers who cheered me on in Scripture Mastery), and will talk about the Gospel.  I had a strong impression about 2 months ago to give him a spare Book of Mormon.  He's reading it and studying it and sharing it with his family.  He also has the missionaries number.  They (the missionaries) also know about Jose.  We've had them over a few times and both are very excited to meet him.  It warms my heart every time I think about it.
We also have each other.  For someone who hasn't been able to live with her husband for a time throughout their marriage...this is pure bliss.  And to be honest, as much as I miss my family with all of my heart, might, mind, and soul...I enjoy it just being Brent and I.  Let's face it, Brent and I spent 90% of our engagement apart from each other.  For some of that time, we weren't even allowed to talk on the phone and I never knew when I'd hear from him or for how long.  So taking this time for us is...exquisite. 
Speaking of taking time for us...that leads me to my final "tumbler."  Babies.  It's not really ANYONE'S business about whether or not Brent and I are trying for a family, when we'll have a family, or any of that.  Yes, we both want a family.  In fact, I think Brent would make the best dad in the world because he already makes the best husband in the world.  But...in a few months, Brent will be graduating and we will be moving back to Utah.  During that time, we've both got to find jobs, schooling, and a place to live.  And we have to afford any expenses that come with all of that.  So to all of those who ask us every week when we're going to announce a new addition...kindly wait patiently with us :)  We don't know when the time will come.  Right now, we're making up for those 7 months of our engagement that we WEREN'T around each other.  So...as much as we appreciate all of the comments of "you two will make such cute babies, you'll make good parents," and "time's a tickin!"  You'll just have to wait and be surprised like the rest of the world!  Adios!

No comments: