A {Boy} and A Girl

I kinda really like this boy. His name is Brent. We entered the wonderful, crazy, and sacred bond of marriage on July 2, 2011. He's pretty much amazing. We like to cook, do anything outdoors, sing, and dance the night away. Oh, and guess what?! WE'RE HAVING A BABY THIS YEAR!! Welcome to our lives...or at least some of it!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

{Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot!!!}

No, those three words are not what I like to do in my spare time (although the tango would be quite entertaining...)  It's the "military alphabet."  You know, A is Alpha, B is Bravo, C is Charlie, D is um...I don't remember D.  But anywho, Whiskey is W, Tango is T, and you guessed it: Foxtrot is F.  Just to clear up any confusion.
Some days...I really truly don't like the military.  I want to go back home.  I don't want to eat dinner at 10 every night because that's when Brent gets home and it means the world to both of us to eat dinner together. I don't want to keep putting on a smile and telling Brent everything's gonna work out when he's so disheartened.  It's exhausting on both of our parts.  Some days I feel like a broken record...telling him that everything's gonna be alright.
B hates French.  Like he SERIOUSLY hates it.  He can speak it quite well now and can carry on a conversation...but...he hates it.  He's also not a test taker.  He freaks out during a test.  Keep praying that he passes his final and most important test.  I am.
He's been getting some one-on-one time with a few of his teachers and it has improved his French so much.  He's remembering little tid-bits that he didn't quite understand or hear before.  In fact, one of his teachers; Madame What's-her-toe told him the other day that he is getting much better and that if he gets close to a certain grade, she'll pass him.  This is where prayer and TONS of studying comes to play.
But then, yesterday, he got his test scores back.  They weren't as good as he wanted and he had a rough time with it.  I tried to cheer him up and give him words of encouragement.  After we got off the phone, I called my mom and cried.  Sheer exhaustion?  Maybe.  Sadness?  Most likely.  I've been getting really sad lately.  I don't like it.  I don't have time to be sad.
But apart from that, here's some good news.  At this point and time, B CAN'T be recycled (meaning put back into the class "younger" than him because there's only 6 more weeks left in his course.)  So...we've just gotta tough it out til then by studying hard and praying harder.  I don't want to be here much longer.  I miss my family oodles.

Also, as a side-note, I was talking to a woman I work with yesterday and she was telling me that she thought the military basically got everything for free because there's so many discounts.  I laughed.  Out loud.  I then went to explain to her that the military DOESN'T pay.  We get so many discounts on things because one of two reasons:  A-The company is very patriotic and is extremely grateful for them. or B-They company has veterans that know we can't afford much, so they'll give us discounts whenever they can.  Okay...I don't know if that's truth but it sure seems like it.  A soldier doesn't start making money until they're a sergeant or higher.  So, to kind of explain this a little more without getting too deep into our finances...I work about 13 hours in a good WEEK at my job.  I bring home 1/4 of Brent's paycheck in just a week compared to his 2 weeks.  This is before we receive BAH or BSA (Basic Allowance for Housing...for our rent...and Basic Substance Allowance...for food)  If it weren't for those two things...we couldn't live out here.  At all.  Oh, and if you have forgotten...Brent is at work from 6 AM to 9 PM every night...and some Saturdays.  I rest my case. 
But see...Brent and I can't complain much.  We both feel he joined the military at the prime time.  We live in a TINY one bedroom apartment that we're able to pocket a couple hundred from our BAH every two weeks.  We don't have kids.  We don't have another house back in Utah that we're paying for.  We don't have pets.  And we don't have any debt besides our car payment that Santa brought us for Christmas.  Besides, my paychecks cover the car payment.  So compared to a lot of people out here...we're doing fairly well and I have no room to complain.
But all-in-all, the military has given us some awesome opportunities which we are very blessed to have.  Although they give us as many headaches as opportunities...we're doin okay.  We'll just keep praying, paying our tithing, and planning.  Have a wonderful Thursday everyone :)

1 comment:

s&k said...

We love you guys!! We'll pray for you as well. Keep that beautiful spirit of yours!miss ya mrs.