A {Boy} and A Girl

I kinda really like this boy. His name is Brent. We entered the wonderful, crazy, and sacred bond of marriage on July 2, 2011. He's pretty much amazing. We like to cook, do anything outdoors, sing, and dance the night away. Oh, and guess what?! WE'RE HAVING A BABY THIS YEAR!! Welcome to our lives...or at least some of it!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I'm Gonna Love You Forever...

Yesterday, Brent and I celebrated our 6 month wedding anniversary.  It doesn't seem like we've been married for 6 months!  I know many of you (especially those who have been married for a few years) are probably giggling and thinking to yourself, "newlyweds!"  But, I hope I'm never out of this stage with my husband.  Here are a few of my favorite things about the "newlywed stage." as some of you would like to call it:
-I absolutely LOVE making Brent dinner.  It tickles me to death seeing him clean a plate, then two, and sometimes three.  It makes me feel like a good wife.  And it makes me happy when his eyes get REALLY big as he exclaims, "HOLY COW!!! This is SOOOOO good!  You should be a chef!"

-I love cooking with Brent.  We'll dance around the kitchen making up songs and Brent will shake his booty!  With the smell of delicious meals, a handsome man to stare at (yep...I do it), and a laugh bubbling up body...Life. Is. Good.

-Brent and I love singing and dancing in the car together.  Usually it's to country or Disney.  One of our favorite duets is "I Just Can't Wait to be King."  I'll sing Simba's part and Brent takes over Fazu. 

-Brent cooks for me, especially when I'm sick.  I'll just let you in on this:  he served two years in Mexico.  To say that he's a dang good Mexican chef is an understatement.  But my favorite is when I'll be in the other room and I'll hear him in the kitchen singing about his creations.  It makes me giggle.  Out loud.

-He'll watch chick flicks with me and I'll watch action movies with him...even the zombie ones.  We don't mind.  Mostly we just cuddle, commentate on how poorly certain scenes are portrayed, and give each other foot massages.

-He'll give me a foot massage anytime I want.  I've always had EXTREMELY ticklish feet, but one day he grabbed my foot and gave me a massage.  It changed my life.  Now I nearly beg for them daily.  But don't worry, I give him massages in return :)

-He tells me I'm beautiful even when my hairs all aflutter, I have no make-up, my teeth aren't brushed, and I'm in sweat pants.  He's told me that I can wear sweats out to the store and that he doesn't mind...but I do.  I'm not okay with going out looking like I just rolled out of bed.  He deserves so much better.  And I'm not about to hear someone whisper "Oh, she's really let herself go since she got married."  Sorry, my mom taught me better. 

-He ALWAYS calls me to let me know where he is, if he'll be late, and just to say he loves me.  He does it so I know he's safe (the way traffic is out here, there's a TON of people and many of them are tourists and the streets here are insane!...do the math).  It started when we had White Dragon and it died randomly all the time, so I'd ask him to call so I knew he'd made it safe with no accidents.  Now, it's just habit.  I know that if he doesn't answer a call, he's probably busy and will call me when he can.  I know that sometimes he barely makes it in time so he's not able to call...but he always does.  I love it.

-We talk Gospel.  I'm not a wiz at Gospel Doctrine and I always have a lot of questions.  He explains the scriptures so well that I understand what it means.  He'll occasionally give me his outlook on it, but he'll ALWAYS find it in the Scriptures.  2 1/2 years off his mission, and he's still a WONDERFUL missionary.

-He'll leave me little notes.  Some mornings I wake up and find a note telling me to have a wonderful day and he'll name some things he loves about me.  I have really good days on those occasions. 

-When I'm sick, he goes into "Super Brent" mode.  He'll tuck me in (oh wait, he does that every morning when he leaves for work!), make me food, clean, and cuddle with me.  He's a good doctor!

-He's a handy-man and will fix any problems we have with the apartment, car, or whatever else comes up.  I know I'll never have to worry about anything because I have a good man who'll take care of me and will always make sure I'm in a safe environment.

-He takes me on dates.  Even when he's run-down from working from 6AM-9PM every day, he'll still take me skating, dancing, or just a walk down to the beach.  I love it.

-We say our prayers and read scriptures together.  I love hearing him talking to our Heavenly Father.  It warms my heart to know that our children will have a wonderful Priesthood Holder in the family, just as I had in mine.

-He walks on the outside of the sidewalk to protect me.  When I go running, I have to carry pepper spray and tell him where I'm going and when I get back.  (It's not that we don't live in a safe neighborhood, but with him being gone at work, it puts his mind at ease.  Sometimes I call him paranoid jokingly.  He then lectures me on many things that he's seen in his day and it shuts me up.)

-He NEVER talks negatively to me, belittles me, or speaks harshly to me.  We never tell each other to "shut up," even when we argue.  He tells me to never think negatively about myself because he thinks I'm beautiful.  The word "divorce" isn't even spoken in our home.  Never.  Not even jokingly.  We both agree that if a couple goes into marriage thinking that divorce is an option, they shouldn't get married.  (Now don't get us wrong, we understand in many cases where divorce is the ONLY option...but for Brent and I, I know we'll never hurt each other in the ways of many marriages today.  Don't roll your eyes and say 'newlyweds' either.  We know.  I'd rather work out problems with my husband first.)  Marriage isn't easy.  It's hard, and sometimes to the point of exhaustion.  But it's worth everything if you're both willing to forget yourselves and TRY.  We've only been married less than a year and don't have kids yet, but we both know a successful marriage takes sacrifice.  That's why I know the "D-Word" will NEVER be an option in our marriage.

-We love reading together!  I love reading, and Brent loves hearing me read and imagining the stories in his head.  We'll cuddle up in bed and read until one of us falls asleep or we HAVE to put the book down in order to get some sleep!

-There's a million things that I love about being married to Brent, but one of my favorite is Brent will ALWAYS offer to give a blessing.  Last night, I was terribly sick.  I was having the worst stomach cramps, and was VERY sick.  He kept asking if I was ready to receive one.  I couldn't stop being sick long enough that by the time I probably was ready, we were half asleep.  I had severe stomach pains all through the night, and finally, at 4 AM when I noticed some unusual things happening, I woke him from his slumber two hours early and asked for a blessing.  He jumped right out of bed and gave one to me and then kept saying, "Shaylee, I have a feeling we should go to the hospital."  So we did.  But by the time we got there, I was feeling better.  It turns out, I had a virus that's been going around the county.  They kept me for about 6 hours (by now Brent had to report into work) and then released me (for which Brent told his Sergeant about the situation and even though he had to be there all day, they let him come to take me home).  I know that if it hadn't been for that blessing, it would've been much more severe.  I was always lucky to have a father that'd give me a blessing any time of day and many times offered one even before I asked...I now have that same opportunity with my wonderful husband. 

He's truly one amazing man who treats me FAR better than I ever expected to be treated.  He's everything I could've ever asked for and SO much more.  He makes me laugh harder than I've ever laughed and love more than I ever imagined I could love.  I love him and know that soon 6 months will turn into 60 years!  And I'll let you in on a secret:  I'm looking forward to every day :)

No comments: