In just one very short week, it'll be the MOST cliched holiday ever: Valentine's. For those that are single, it's often referred to as Single Awareness Day. For those in relationships, the guy is put in panic mode to think of the right thing to say, do, or buy. She may want chocolate, but then again maybe not because she doesn't want to break that New Year's Resolution that they both know she's not keeping. She may want flowers, but if he wasn't on the ball...no long-stemmed red roses for her! Looks like it'll be yellow "friendship" roses. She may want to go out and be seen by everyone that she has a date on this "ever-so-important" day...but she wants him only to herself. It can be totally confusing for men and totally devastating for women.
My opinion? I've always despised the holiday. In fact, I wrote a paper on it in my College English class. I've always felt that if you truly want your spouse or partner to know that you love them...do it every day...not just one day out of the year. I've had many experiences with this holiday. All but one have been bad. You see, I've ended relationships on this horrendous day, had a guy cater to my every need and hated it, and had a guy treat me like I was only worth $12 dollar roses from Wal-Mart...that the entire night he kept commenting how "they were pretty good flowers for $12 bucks from Wal-Mart...huh?!" And hated it. I rest my case.
My opinion? I've always despised the holiday. In fact, I wrote a paper on it in my College English class. I've always felt that if you truly want your spouse or partner to know that you love them...do it every day...not just one day out of the year. I've had many experiences with this holiday. All but one have been bad. You see, I've ended relationships on this horrendous day, had a guy cater to my every need and hated it, and had a guy treat me like I was only worth $12 dollar roses from Wal-Mart...that the entire night he kept commenting how "they were pretty good flowers for $12 bucks from Wal-Mart...huh?!" And hated it. I rest my case.
Now before you get your undies in a bunch thinking I'm not a hopeless romantic that loves to go dancing, receiving flowers, and romantic nights out on the town, chill. I will admit: I'm actually very excited for this year's overly-cliched holiday.
My mom always told me that once I found a man who would make the day worthwhile (she thinks it's cliched too) I would begin to like it. She was right. Moms are always right!
You see, last year, B was at Basic on Valentine's...yet he still made it the most memorable one yet. My roommates continually asked me if I thought he would do anything. My response was that if he could, he would. And boy...he did!
I came home that night after baby-sitting my niece and nephews while Trint and Becca went on a date (I mean...what else would I have done that night?!) to a table full of flowers. I saw yellow roses, a smorgesborg of a bouquet, and then a HUGE bouqet or long-stemmed red roses. Guess who got the big ones?! Yep. Me. Along with the sweetest note EVER that truly let me know how much that man cares for me and loves me. I love him :)
![]() |
| In case you have trouble reading it: "I love you and miss you SOO much! I can't wait to spend Eternity with you. Love you, Brent." |
This year...it'll be some-what the same situation. Brent will be at work ALL day. Whether he comes home between 4 and 6:30 or not...I don't know. I told him all I wanted was a book (yes, I am a nerd). But for him...I've got a few wonderful little surprises :) I hope he enjoys all of them! You see, I still think the holiday is lame (I don't think I can stress that enough), but I'm excited to do all of this for B. That's the wonderful little thing about marriage: you forget yourself and put your spouse on the highest pedestal you can find, and then you make them stand on a few books on top of that. If you don't, you should.
Another wonderful perk: they make a holiday you despise actually seem kind of...wonderful!




No comments:
Post a Comment