So...Brent's at work late...again. The house is clean, laundry is done, Biggest Loser has been watched, all social media websites have been stalked, and...I'm bored. So what do I do when boredom strikes and there's still 30 minutes until the hubs is home? I think about him.
And eat an apple.
Lately I've been thinking a lot about our wedding. Maybe it's all the hoopla of other couples planning their weddings (let's face it...if everyone and their sister got married in 2011...now everyone and their brother are getting married in 2012!) Okay...bad joke.
And I don't know why, but tonight...I remembered one of my favorite things about my wedding: my wedding dress.
And I don't know why, but tonight...I remembered one of my favorite things about my wedding: my wedding dress.
Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved {EVERY} aspect about my wedding. The only thing I would've changed is: trying some of the food! I hear it was yummy. But see, even the stress and worry about whether or not Brent could even be there...I'd do again (if, and only if I knew for sure that it'd work out like it did). Why? Because it's a unique story. It's {our} story.
Part of this unique story is my dress. You see, just a few days after Christmas in 2010, Brent and I were sharing some of our last few days together at my house. What'd we done all morning? Nothing but cuddle and watch TV. My mom called and asked us if I wanted to just go look at dresses at Lila Lee's in Gunnison...it was her huge sale to just get rid of everything.
I reluctantly agreed...I mean, it was RIGHT after Christmas. I wasn't feelin much like sqeezin into anything. But I figured why not.
B and I headed over there and just looked around while we waited for my mom to get there. I'd never given much thought to my wedding dress. I just knew I wanted white, modest, and not poofy (I'm too short for poofy!) And since my "theme" (I guess you could call it that) was vintage/audrey hepburn-ish...I wanted lace.
As we were looking, I remember seeing a dress in size 2's that I adored and it was the first one I wanted to try on. But I also thought, "Pah! I haven't fit in a size 2 for awhile...this could be interesting!" So I looked for the same dress in size 4. No luck.
Finally my mom arrived and Lila Lee started pulling some of the dresses I'd picked and some dresses she picked. They were all nice but...they were either too simple or too extreme. Or too poofy or too tight. I started to just wanna go home. I told Lila Lee about the size 2 dress. I described it perfectly. She kept bringing out the wrong ones.
No. No. No.
The dress was nowhere to be found?! Had I just imagined this perfect dress?!
Finally, I was walking back to try on another dress (I'd only tried on 3...HA!) and {I SAW IT}! It was hanging right outside my dressing room. The thing is, when everyone had been asked, no one had put it there. Miraculous? Yeah.
I thought skinny and put on the dress...IT FIT!! That right there made me fall in love with it! I slipped on the dress and felt the gentle (not tight) hug of the dress against my hips before it started slightly slipping away from my thighs. I ran my hands over the "lace" overlay. It wasn't really lace...just tuille that mimicked lace. Every so often, I could feel a patch of beadwork scrub against the palm of my hand.
Then I walked out. I saw myself in a passing mirror.
I gasped.
I went and stood in front of her huge mirror in all the lights.
My jaw dropped.
I smiled.
I started crying.
I reluctantly agreed...I mean, it was RIGHT after Christmas. I wasn't feelin much like sqeezin into anything. But I figured why not.
B and I headed over there and just looked around while we waited for my mom to get there. I'd never given much thought to my wedding dress. I just knew I wanted white, modest, and not poofy (I'm too short for poofy!) And since my "theme" (I guess you could call it that) was vintage/audrey hepburn-ish...I wanted lace.
As we were looking, I remember seeing a dress in size 2's that I adored and it was the first one I wanted to try on. But I also thought, "Pah! I haven't fit in a size 2 for awhile...this could be interesting!" So I looked for the same dress in size 4. No luck.
Finally my mom arrived and Lila Lee started pulling some of the dresses I'd picked and some dresses she picked. They were all nice but...they were either too simple or too extreme. Or too poofy or too tight. I started to just wanna go home. I told Lila Lee about the size 2 dress. I described it perfectly. She kept bringing out the wrong ones.
No. No. No.
The dress was nowhere to be found?! Had I just imagined this perfect dress?!
Finally, I was walking back to try on another dress (I'd only tried on 3...HA!) and {I SAW IT}! It was hanging right outside my dressing room. The thing is, when everyone had been asked, no one had put it there. Miraculous? Yeah.
I thought skinny and put on the dress...IT FIT!! That right there made me fall in love with it! I slipped on the dress and felt the gentle (not tight) hug of the dress against my hips before it started slightly slipping away from my thighs. I ran my hands over the "lace" overlay. It wasn't really lace...just tuille that mimicked lace. Every so often, I could feel a patch of beadwork scrub against the palm of my hand.
Then I walked out. I saw myself in a passing mirror.
I gasped.
I went and stood in front of her huge mirror in all the lights.
My jaw dropped.
I smiled.
I started crying.
I looked at my mom. She was smiling just as big as I was and crying too.
Finally, I took a deep breath and drew my eyes over to Brent, sitting behind me. Our eyes met. Mine were questioning. His were awe.
You see, for every dress before, he'd said, "That's pretty. You look beautiful." You know, standard guy words when a girl's shopping for a dress. But this time was different.
"You look like an angel!"
I smiled. I knew this was it. I looked at my mom. She's been shopping for dresses with my plenty of times to know "the look." You know, when you step into a dress that you feel was made for you, for that time in your life, and for that occasion? When you walk taller, smile bigger, and feel you can conquer the world?
This was the dress. I knew it. B knew it. My mom knew it.
Lila Lee brought out a veil with pearls.
Perfect.
We asked for the damage.
$400.
This was too good to be true. But...it was true. It was my dream dress. Brent saw it before he left and I have no problem with that. It was just the first step in many that led to my perfect wedding to my perfect prince.
Perfect.
Finally, I took a deep breath and drew my eyes over to Brent, sitting behind me. Our eyes met. Mine were questioning. His were awe.
You see, for every dress before, he'd said, "That's pretty. You look beautiful." You know, standard guy words when a girl's shopping for a dress. But this time was different.
"You look like an angel!"
I smiled. I knew this was it. I looked at my mom. She's been shopping for dresses with my plenty of times to know "the look." You know, when you step into a dress that you feel was made for you, for that time in your life, and for that occasion? When you walk taller, smile bigger, and feel you can conquer the world?
This was the dress. I knew it. B knew it. My mom knew it.
Lila Lee brought out a veil with pearls.
Perfect.
We asked for the damage.
$400.
This was too good to be true. But...it was true. It was my dream dress. Brent saw it before he left and I have no problem with that. It was just the first step in many that led to my perfect wedding to my perfect prince.
Perfect.




No comments:
Post a Comment